BY Roger DuPuis, Wilkes-Barre Times Leader
WILKES-BARRE — What is the most popular must-do attraction in Luzerne County? Hint: It’s outdoors.
The results are in.
Over a period of three weeks, a total of 1,460 people provided input to the questionnaire, according to a report released today, of whom 1,154 of those respondents were residents of Luzerne County.
The survey asked readers to list the county’s most popular “must see and do” activities. Here were the top 15 responses:
1. Ricketts Glen State Park
2. Visit a favorite restaurant or bakery
3. Visit a favorite pizza place
4. Frances Slocum State Park
5. The Mohegan Sun Pocono Casino
6. A Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins game or a show at the Mohegan Sun Arena
7. Harveys Lake
8. A show at the F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts
9. Seven Tubs Natural Area
10. The Lands at Hillside Farms
11. A visit to one of our brewpubs or breweries
12. Kirby Park
13. Eckley Miners’ Village
14. A tour of Downtown Wilkes-Barre’s historic architecture and mansions
15. The River Common
The survey also looked at how to enhance visitors’ experiences and challenges faced by the community.
“Luzerne County and our partners are extremely grateful for the large response, far greater than anticipated, to our questionnaire,” a statement at the end of the report stated.
“We’ve listened carefully to all that was said. In the coming months we will continue to review the responses, as well as the recommendations made by branding consultant, Roger Brooks,” the statement added. “This will allow us to move together in a direction that builds upon our assets to create a unique and identifiable brand for Luzerne County, increasing tourism and benefiting the local economy.”